A holiday favorite, this salad can be served throughout the whole year as the ingredients are rather available. A powerhouse of nutrients features massaged kale that will convert the pickiest of eaters.
2 Bunches of Fresh Kale
1 Small Butternut Squash
1/2 C of Uncooked Quinoa, soaked, rinsed and drained
(Don’t skip this step – soak your quinoa for 4h-overnight. Quinoa is gluten-free, rich and complex whole grain that can be difficult to digest)
4 Tbs Avocado Oil - divided
2 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro - Leaves only - Reserve the stems
1 Onion or 5-7 Scallions
1/2 C Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
2 Limes - Zest and Juice
Reserved Cilantro Stems
1 medium Avocado
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Water to thin the dressing
1. Turn the oven on to 400F.
2. Cook the quinoa per the package. Chill quickly by spreading the quinoa on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
3. Peel and dice butternut squash into small cubes.
4. Gently toss cubed squash with 2 Tbs of avocado oil and place onto baking sheet. sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast for 15-30 minutes or until golden, depending on the size of the cubes.
5. While the squash is roasting, rinse the kale and cilantro.
6. Strip the kale off its stalk and thinly slice it into ribbons.
7. Place the kale into a large bowl and massage it with 2 Tbs of avocado oil. Crunch it, punch it, crush it ... you can't go wrong.
8. Chop the cilantro leaves and thinly dice the onion/scallions and toss into the bowl.
9. Toss all the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend it for a few seconds. If you over blend it, the avocado will thicken the dressing, so add a bit of water to thin it out.
10. Toss remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix.
11. Top with pumpkin seeds
Tip: Kale massage is a perfect kid activity. Get your kiddos involved. They are more likely to eat what they create.