Happy Cinco de Mayo! This salad is a family favorite and has been shared many times with friends at Mexican themed parties. Kids love it for it's sweet - mildly spicy and comforting taste.
12 oz Dry Black Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed*
1 C Uncooked Quinoa, soaked, rinsed and drained
(Don’t skip this step – soak your quinoa for 4h-overnight. Quinoa is gluten-free, rich and complex whole grain that can be difficult to digest)
3 Tbs Sherry Vinegar
1 Tbs Coconut Aminos
2 Limes - Zest and Juice
1 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce - Minced**
1/3 C plus Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Small Red Onion
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro
Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. In a large saucepan, cover the beans with cold water and bring to a boil simmer of low heat for 1.5 -2 hours. Make sure they are cooked but still firm and not mushy.
2. Cook the quinoa per the package. Chill quickly by spreading the quinoa on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
3. Finely diced scallions, red onion, yellow pepper, and cilantro.
4. In a large bowl whisk EVOO, sherry vinegar, coconut aminos, lime zest/juice, and chipotle until well blended. Add the black beans, quinoa, scallions, red onion, yellow pepper, and cilantro.
5. Season with sea salt and papper, toss to combine and serve.
* You can use 2 cans of black beans instead cooking your own.
** Add 2-3 chipotles for the extra kick.
*** You can add fresh organic corn for a bit of sweetness.
This salad can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. Makes great leftovers.